Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Give and take

When Pallavi finally found out Jyotika she was standing alone on the roof humming some thing softly. Pallavi tiptoed to her and playfully startled her, they both giggled merrily and sat down on the swing side by side.

They were close friends, very fond of each other, Pallavi was light hearted, bubbly and Jyotika silent, deep. This contrast made their friendship tie even more strong, Jyotika looked up at Pallavi for cheering her up and Pallavi at Jyotika for counsel.

Pallavi asked Jyotika after babbling for a little time that if she can ask her some thing serious.

When her request was accepted she asked Jyotika if she regrets her decision of marrying Nayan.

Jyotika laughed and answered, “Not an inch!”

Pallavi sat silent for a few minutes and then asked her “Did you loved Pavan?”

Jyotika softly said, “With all my heart , but Pavan has told me directly that he did not loved me and will never be interested in me”.

Pallavi asked “Why did you gave up so easily, you might have tried a little to make him love you.”

In response to her question Jyotika broke down into peal of laughter.

She softly placed her palm on her friend’s palm and said “I have tried in all the way that a dignified woman can, who is madly in love with some one, but all my attempts were ignored with extreme kindness and politeness. Love is a game of give and take, it is worthy only when it gets its return. I used to dote on Pavan but he loved me as a friend, my heart was bleeding from his constant rejection and then Nayan came, and he fell in love with me, he started to shower me with his affection and even though I was in love with Pavan I started to realize that I will be able to love Nayan very easily because his love for me was too overwhelming and deep”.

“Hence when Nayan proposed me i married him”.

Pallavi asked her, “What will you do if Pavan comes back into your life, madly in love with you? It often happens in real life, does not it?”

Jyotika shrugged her shoulder and said “There is only one form in which Pavan can now return to my life, that is of a platonic friend”.

Then she gently said, “You know Pallavi, you cant make any one love you, but you can make yourself love any one until and unless that person is not utterly disagreeable in your eyes, when I loved Pavan and failed I was in a deep darkness, then Nayan came, he doted after me, and his affection made me forget my gloom, I slowly started to judge him whether or not he has the qualities which are essential for me in my spouse and realized he had all the things which I feel should be present in my spouse and to my greatest fortune he is madly in love with me. So I decided to change myself and give him his due affection and I succeeded. So Pavan is just a friend to me, my love for him has become platonic affection after I married Nayan. Because I believe that amorous love is only for husband, not even for lover”.

Pallavi hugged her tightly and they both sat side by side on the jhoola watching moon shine over trees and buildings.

4 comments:

  1. Not bad, not bad at all dear Trisha. This is realism. From the high moral position than you always seem to maintain, I never expected such a pragmatic approach to the problem of love. Make these stories longer so that there is more meet in them and the insight into life is evident subtly unobstrusively. Really, what good themes you have! You do not work on them it seems!

    All the same this story is an improvement from your usual descriptive style. You brought a more conversational style in it. I like it.

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is an old story, and this is my way of looking at love :)

    you missed it till now..

    you have read the stories too quickly, if you have the energy of repeating them, go slowly through them and my poems you will see :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am doing it now and you are right there is an element of poetry in them. I must have been merely looking at them from a writers angle.

    As I told you earlier too they don't bore me like some other stories in the net do. I like them, I like an uncomplicated style of narration :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. good.. if you like them then dont try to compare them with jane austen or maupassant or tolstoy.. :)

    if i were them then i would have become a legendary writer and you would not have been my solo reader.. :) :)

    treat them as time pass.. and you will enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete